Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Time Flies...

It seems like just yesterday I was being welcomed at morning assembly and today I had to say goodbye. I started off the days talking to their student leaders. However, I did not want the day to end so I asked to sub for open classes that were missing a teacher. It was great fun interacting with the students and answering questions. After having to leave the students at the end of the day we proceeded to a cultural market by taking the subway (which is much better than being stuck in a cab) However, the subway line is fairly limited and you still have to take a cab from the nearest stop. At the market I continued to be amazed by the process to buy something, I'll try to sum it up the best I can:

1. 4 people discuss your purchase and fill out a reciept.
2. The goods were lowered by a bucket on a rope down to the first floor.
3. We had to proceed to the pay window with the filled out receipt.
4. After paying we then had to go over to the pick-up window and receive our items.

Most other stores at leas followed the process of pick the item, get a receipt, go to a separate area and pay, return with the receipt and get the item. It seems very inefficient, but I guess when the goal is to employ as many people as possible, convenience for the customer is less important.

I continued to be blown away by the students and how nice and hard working they were. The interactions were a real highlight of the experience and I look forward to them continuing as we plan some projects between our students.

Here I am sporting my Kurta that was a surprise gift from the principal. A perfect fit and it even matched.

My first class "subbing"in India- Grade 11

My last class "subbing" in India- Grade 8



No comments:

Post a Comment