Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cricket Anyone?

Well, today I learned a little about Cricket during a visit to the Calcutta Cricket Coaching Center. It was very difficult not to revert to Baseball style when batting. Sitting for a spot of tea afterwards helped to add to the feeling of being in England (except for the humidity). I ended on a good hit so I could leave feeling like I was picking it up. I did not try bowling though, although I did practice the grip and discuss some tactics and polishing the ball. The Center is a great green spot in the middle of the city for the kids to practice the game. With some amazing teachers and coaches providing such opportunities.


I also came across one of the many "pick-up" Cricket matches played anywhere there is space. The equipment may be different, but the passion is the same.

Another person for me to make sure I teach about when I get home is Rabrindranath Tagore who was a very influential writer, painter, philosopher, freedom fighter, musical pioneer, that traveled around the world receiving honors and spreading influence. We visited his home and museum while hearing all about the impact he had on India. A special visit was also arranged to visit the Marble Palace to get a glimpse of how the Rajas of Indian lived/continue to live. The Rajas were Indian Princes allowed to retain power and wealth if they helped implement British rule (the British only had about 5,000 citizens here to rule India through the local officials). There were paintings and sculptures from around the world, it would have been amazing to see in it's day. Some descendants of the Raj still live in part of the mansion. 
 We finished off the day with an amazing lunch that has left me without needing to eat for the next few days. The delicacy was a "protected" dish that is only available at this one restaurant. Chelo Kabob consists of rice, egg, chicken kabob and mutton (goat), finished off with a Mango desert. 






No comments:

Post a Comment